Terms & Conditions
These conditions are designed for your safety and the safety of other road users.
The Marlow Red Kite Ride is a non-competitive cycling sportive organised and hosted by Marlow Riders.
Marlow Riders does not accept any responsibility for any injury sustained or property damaged in the course of the Marlow Red Kite Ride sportive.
Adequate material loss/damage insurance cover is recommended in respect of your cycle and any personal property and for any loss/injury you may sustain yourself or cause to a third party.
Cars are left at the start/finish points at the your own risk. Please do not leave any valuables in your vehicle.
Please be aware that by registering you authorise Marlow Riders to process and store your personal data in accordance with the Data Protection Act for the purposes of this event only.
All riders under the age of 18 years must provide written parental consent prior to the event and those under 16 years must be accompanied by an appropriate adult during the whole of the event.
Participants who enter the Marlow Red Kite Ride and subsequently withdraw from the event will not be entitled to a refund
Images may be taken during the event using film photography, digital photography, video or other media and may be used on our website and in promotional material in any medium. By taking part in the event or attending the event, participants and their supporters are deemed to have given their consent unless objections are received by email to the organisers. Marlow Riders acknowledges its responsibilities towards children and younger people and will, whenever possible and practicable, refrain from using their images without parental permission.
Alteration or postponement of the event
Marlow Riders reserves the right to alter, postpone or cancel the event where this becomes necessary as a result of circumstances beyond our reasonable control. Where the event is postponed, or cancelled, participants shall be entitled to defer their entry to when the event next takes place.
Conduct of participants
All participants are required to conduct themselves in a responsible and safe fashion and refrain from any behaviour that could adversely affect the reputation of the Marlow Red Kite Ride. Marlow Riders reserves the right to disqualify any participants whose behaviour it deems inappropriate. Marlow Riders’ decision shall be final in such matters.
Health & Safety
- Marlow Riders has a risk assessment procedure for this event and will use all reasonable endeavours to ensure that the event is safe for participants and the public. However, by taking part participants agree to take reasonable care of their own health, safety and welfare and that of other participants and members of the public. Participants acknowledge that the event will take place on public rights of way and roads and that, as such, risks may arise that are beyond Marlow Riders’ reasonable control.
- Participants aged 16 or under must be accompanied by a responsible adult (aged 18+, preferably a parent or guardian) for the whole duration of the event. Parents/guardians are responsible for ensuring that their child is a competent cyclist and has a good level of road safety awareness.
- The Marlow Red Kite Ride sportive necessarily requires a high degree of physical exertion on the part of the participants. All participants must satisfy themselves that they are in good health and physically able to participate in this event. If in doubt, participants should consult a GP or hospital doctor prior to the ride.
- All participants must protect themselves by wearing suitable clothing and footwear including high visibility apparel.
- The wearing of hard shell helmets conforming to CE standards EN1078 is mandatory for all riders participating in British Cycling registered events.
- Participants who start without a helmet, or choose to discard their helmet at any other point of the ride will be withdrawn from the Marlow Red Kite Ride.
- All participants must supply their own bicycle and must ensure that it is roadworthy and in a good state of repair for this event. Participants are also advised to carry a bicycle pump, two spare inner tubes and/or puncture repair kit and a tool kit.
- If the event has to be held in poor light, then front and rear lights must be used and must have adequate battery life for the duration of the event.
- All participants must follow the rules of the Highway Code and any guidance or instructions issued by Marlow Riders. The Highway Code states that riders should not ride more than two abreast, and extend all reasonable courtesy to other road users. The use of earphones (e.g. MP3, iPod) by participants is strongly discouraged on the grounds of safety.
- The use of triathlon handlebars or other time trial bar extensions is not permitted in any British Cycling registered Sportive events for safety reasons. Participants who do have them fitted will be asked to remove the parts, or be withdrawn from the event.
- All riders must carry a form of identification showing their name, address and contact details of the person to be advised in the eventuality of an accident. It is also advised that all participants carry enough food, drink, money, mobile phone, as well as extra clothing to complete the Marlow Red Kite Ride taking into account the route and possible adverse weather conditions.
- Participants must not consume alcohol during or before the event
- Participants are required to refrain from smoking during the event.
- Participants are responsible for arranging their own transport to and from the event. Marlow Riders recommend that participants use the nominated parking facilities or arrange to be collected at the end of the event.