Following the success of last year’s event, The Marlow Red Kite Ride 2013 will take place on Sunday 1st September.
Entries are now open for this late season Sportive, which will again be hosted by the Marlow Riders, with all net proceeds going to local charities. To enter, please hit the red ‘Enter’ button. Please give your mobile phone number as your ‘daytime contact number’ as we will use this to send results via text message.
The 2013 event will follow the same format as last year, offering experienced Sportive riders a relatively flat fast route with three feed stations offering plentiful supplies and a host of other rider benefits.
This year we will be offereing a choice of three routes, of 50, 80 or 100 miles. These routes go through varied countryside in Buckinghamshire, Oxfordshire and Berkshire, with all routes heading over the Chilterns and the longer routes heading into the Vale of Aylesbury.
We openly welcome cyclists of all abilities to our event in the hope that we can offer you a challenging ride but still one in which, even if you are a relative novice, you can train towards.
Last year’s inaugural event attracted more than 350 entries, raised £4,000 for two local charities and received a great deal of positive feedback from those who entered. This year we will be raising funds for three local charities: Skidz, which provides work training for children with educational or learning difficulties; In-Vision, who are raising funds for research into Infantile Nystagmus; and the Marlow Sports Club. All funds raised after running costs will go to these charities.
Entry costs £25 per person if you enter online plus 60p booking fee. If there are spaces remaining, entries on the day will cost £30.
Highlights of the ride
- Three well sign-posted routes on quiet roads in varied countryside
- Three feed stations with snacks, water and energy drinks
- Full electronic timing
- Headquarters in the picturesque town of Marlow, close to the M40 and M4
- Ample free parking close to the start
- Refreshments before the event and stay on afterwards for our delicious BBQ
- Showers at the finish
- GPX route guides for download shortly before the event
- Results sent to your mobile phone by SMS for advance entries
- All net proceeds go to charity
- Supported by British Cycling
Photos of last year’s event are still available at Kelly Dowling Photography